APAEP facilitates year-round educational opportunities to people living in Alabama’s correctional facilities. We offer high quality educational programming to men and women who are starved for knowledge and desperate for the chance to develop intellectually and creatively. Our students’ level of enthusiasm, excitement, and passion for the learning process is inspiring. Our programs include:
- Semester-length pre-college courses based on introductory college level courses with no educational requirements.
- Degree program courses offered to incarcerated students that have met the requirements of admission to Auburn University and the APAEP degree program. Students in this program take courses that are identical to those taught on the Auburn University campus and earn credit towards a Bachelor of Science degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from AU.
- SPARKs lecture series offered every spring with weekly lectures given by AU faculty members in science, math, and engineering.
- Biannual anthology filled with APAEP student artwork and writing.
- Traveling art exhibit, Art on the Inside, made of drawings and paintings produced by the student participants in APAEP.
- Books Behind Bars dedicated to building Alabama state prison libraries.